“The grace that adopts me into Christ’s family is not a grace that says I am okay. In fact, the Bible is clear that God extends his grace to me because I am everything but okay. As we enter God’s family, we are in need of radical personal change. God’s acceptance is not a call to relax, but a call to work. Paul says in Titus 2:11-12, ‘For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in the present age.’ The grace God extends to us is always grace leading to change. His acceptance is not the end of his work; it is the beginning! Our justification must never be separated from our sanctification. They are two parts of a seamless work of redemption.”
Starting a few years ago I felt this urge to pray and fast specifically for change. Over and over, year after year I have prayed for the same thing. The Holy Spirit’s prompting was powerful, His theme specific and although His calling was clear in my sin I filled in the blank. What needed to change? Well everything around me of course! I have been convinced that the change needed to happen in loved ones, friends, institutions, circumstances… I even have appealing data to back up why all those people and things need to change. My flesh fights the truth that I am the broken one and everything in me wants to run, even now. But, as I look back His grace is so clear. The need to pray for change was real and personal and He in His mercy was preparing me to see the darkness of my own heart. He is forever increasing my faith to stand still (instead of running in fear) and see what I am holding onto and trying to control instead of relying on Him. It’s hard concluding that I will never be ok this side of heaven and that I will always be mourning my sin. The relief is that the groaning hunger within me means that God is sanctifying me and I am His. His spirit within me cries out for Himself!
“Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" Galatians 4:6
2 comments:
"The relief is that the groaning hunger within me means that God is sanctifying me and I am His. His spirit within me cries out for Himself!"
Love that! Thanks!
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm officially a stay at home mommy now, so we're going to have to get our kiddos together sometime. Kim is at home this summer too, so let's plan an outing! :)
Can't wait to catch up. Hope to talk to you soon!
Love,
Andi
Post a Comment