Friday, February 15, 2008

Deceptively Delicious


Cookbooks are not something that I usually read or care for, but I love this one! In case you haven't heard the gist of the book is that you steam and puree vegetables and then hide them in ordinary foods from muffins to tacos! I've decided pureeing is actually an art form, my mom let me borrow her cusinart and oh there is no turning back! The other day I fit an entire butternut squash in that sweet machine and it gave me all kinds of thrills, scary! Well, I love vegetables and my family doesn't so this is the perfect idea for us. I get to nibble on all sorts of fresh veggies (steamed cauliflower, yum!) while I puree and my family gets their nutrients without even knowing it! They turn their nose up at what Maddox is eating, little do they know! The rebel in me loves to hide crazy vegetables from my them, epecially my husband :)! He has no idea what he's eating! No, if he asks I tell him, well usually...

Here's my favorite recipe Tacos, the crushed tomatoes and vegetable puree make them thick and rich (I also put leftovers inside soft tortillas and make quesdillas)

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 lb lean turkey (I use half lean and half extra lean)
  • 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes with juice
  • 1/2 cup sweet potato, carrot, or butternut squash puree (you could just throw a sweet potato in the microwave for 10 minutes and then puree in the food processor)
  • 1/2 (1.25 ounce) packet of taco seasoning
  • 1 package taco shells
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese

I also puree canned black beans and salsa as an additional filling, no need to cook before hand.

  1. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and set over med-high heat. When skillet is hot, add oil. Add meat, breaking it up with a spoon. Brown for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, vegggie puree, and seasoning mix. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is no longer pink and the mixture begins to thicken, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
  3. Preheat the oven to 325 F. (I preheat my shells a little) Then I put fill with my black bean mixture and then meat mixture and finally sprinkle with cheese. Stand the shells in a baking dish and bake until the cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes. Add your favorite toppings!

1 comment:

The Lancasters said...

Send me that banana bread recipe if you have time :)